About Moi

About Moi
My Name is Brittany, and I'm 23yrs old. I was diagnosed with Lupus when I was 15, and then diagnosed with RA, when I was 18. I also got married when I was 18, and I'm enjoying my happily ever after with my hubby! When I got married, I was slim and trim...But not for long. After getting married, I started to gain a LOT of weight! In 1yr, I gained 50lbs! Finally, I went to the Doctor, where I discovered I have low thyroid. After being put on medicine, my weight gain slowed down, although over the next 3yrs, I gained an additional 26lbs. When I was 20yrs old, I got yet another diagnoses of Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome. That's 4 diagnoses in a 5yr period, if you lost count. They all effect my weight, in one way or another. Add on top of that, my love affair with food, and every 1 of those 76lbs gained was accounted for. Being 76lbs over weight is unhealthy for anyone, but it was especially unhealthy for me, and my health issues. Since starting this blog, in Jan-2010, I have lost 40lbs! I'm a new, slimmer, and healthier me! Before losing weight, I was told I needed knee replacements. Losing weight was the ONLY tool I had to help me hold off on that life changing surgery. Since losing 40lbs, my knees have never felt better! My husband and I are also trying to start a family, but my PCOS was not going to make it as easy as 1,2,3, as I didn't have periods on my own. My doctor had told me if I wanted a baby, I HAD to lose weight. Since losing 40lbs, I've had regular cycles for the first time in my life! Which is very important when trying to have a baby ;) This journey of mine is more than me simply wanting to wear skinny jeans. It has been a quest to becoming :Deliciously Healthy, so ALL of my dreams can come true! I'm almost half way there! With each new day, I get closer and closer to my goal of 120lbs, and becoming :Deliciously Healthy!

Monday, February 1, 2010

Another Deliciously Healthy Weekend!


We started out the weekend by going to the movies. This was my 1st time going to the movies, since I've been on my diet, so I was a little nervous. Movie theaters are a major temptation for me, for 2 reasons:
#1.Kettle corn makes me weak in the knees.
#2. Before catching a movie, we ALWAYS go out to eat at one of my favorite restaurants, Jim-N-Nicks, because it's right next to the theater. It's a hard habit to break. AND, you can smell their BBQ outside, and down the block. Seriously. That's how we 1st found the restaurant. Our noses led us there ;)

So, in an effort to resist the kettle corn, and conquer the aroma of Jim-N-Nicks BBQ that surrounds the area, I made BBQ chicken wraps at home, for dinner. I was good and full when we left for our movie, and I got a little BBQ fix :)
My mouth was watering by the time I got done making it, and all I could think about was sitting down and digging in! So, this is the only picture I remembered to take ;)I got 4 boneless skinless chicken breast, and cut them into about 1/2 inch strips, and cooked them in a skillet. Once they were done cooking, I added 1 cup of sweet and tangy BBQ sauce, some chopped onions, and let it simmer for about 5min.Then I just put some of the chicken strips in a low calories tortilla, added some low-fat cheese, low-fat sour cream, and some cubes of avocado.
It was delish, and very filling!

After dinner, we were headed to the movies, with full bellies!
I brought a 100 calorie pack to eat during the movie. ( Shhhh! Don't tell! ;)I'm glad I didn't spoil my diet while going out to see a movie, because we ended up leaving early, due to a very talkative, and annoying lady sitting behind us. We got a refund, and she got kicked out :) Normally I don't do things like that, but she was obviously doing it to be disruptive. I would have been really disappointed if I had spoiled my diet, for a movie we didn't end up seeing. It was a test to see if I could resist the sweet aroma of BBQ, and kettle corn, and stick to my diet...and I passed! To me, that was better then any movie!

I also made some tacos this weekend. I got the idea from THIS blog, to use lettuce instead of taco shells...genius! Then I just cooked up some lean ground turkey with taco seasoning. I topped my tacos off with low-fat sour cream, low-fat cheese, tomato, onion, salsa, and avocado. It was totally tasty! Two tacos filled my husband and I up pretty darn good! ;)

The rest of the weekend was spent lounging around. My husband was sick/getting over being sick this weekend, so we didn't really do much, other then attempt to see a movie, play cards, watch the new season of 24, and EAT...Deliciously Healthy of course!

On a little side note: I stepped on the scale this morning!
I told myself Monday was the day I needed to start looking at the numbers, and stop being blissfully unaware. So, I finally did it. The numbers said, "194.5" That means I've lost 2lbs. Boo! ;) Actually, I'm not that disappointed that I've lost 2lbs in 3 weeks. At least it's something. If I were to gain 2lbs, I would be really upset, and would look at those 2 little pounds as a major deal. So why shouldn't I treat losing 2lbs as a major deal? Also, for the first week and a half, I was focusing on weening myself off of things slowly, instead of stopping everything at the same time. Then, into the 2nd, and a little bit into the 3rd week, I had already stopped all the bad foods, and I was eating healthy, but I wasn't keeping an eye on my portions, or counting my calories. That was the last stage of the process for me. Add on top of all that, the fact that I've barely (and by barely, I mean I haven't) worked out, and I'd say I'm pretty happy with a 2 pound loss.

Now that I've got everything down pretty good, it's time to switch this from being a nice and slow stroll in the park, to a brisk walk. It's time to work up a sweat, and burn some calories baby!

Hope you all had a great weekend!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look at you!!! Great job :) Don't worry about it only being 2 lbs. When people lose weight slowly they tend to keep it off. My sister lost weight soooo slowly. She has kept it off...me not so much.

Becca said...

That BBQ chicken looks amazing, you have me thinking weekend recipes now....

2 pounds is awesome, congrats :)

adorkable said...

2 lbs is 2 lbs - congrats on the loss! and mmmm those tacos look yummy! i'll be trying that soon!

Christi said...

I never would have thought of taco lettuce wraps, awesome! good job resisting movie temptations :)

Corletta said...

Brittany,
Good for you! Sounds like you are taking control of your life. 2 pounds...girl, this past week I would have KILLED for that. Oh well...this is a new week. A week of us both trying our absolute hardest. You can do this!

Bella said...

Lots of good stuff in this post!
1. Good job with the 2 lbs. It may not be as much as you'd like to see, but a loss is a loss.
2. That is a GREAT idea to use lettuce for tacos! Why didn't I think of that? It's so simple, yet it makes a world of difference as far as calories. Thanks for sharing.
3. You should be really proud of yourself for sticking to some great "workarounds" for your movie dilemma. I love that you made the BBQ dinner at home and that you brought some fun (yet healthy) snacks with you to the theatre. That kind of planning is exactly what will lead you to your goal.

Well done!!!

Tammy said...

Excellent, excellent choices this wknd, all the way around! The chicken looks fantastic...I'll be making some of that...and I keep hearing about replacing taco shells with lettuce, so why haven't I done that yet???? I will very soon!!! Very proud of that loss, too...we'll take all we can get! :)

divad said...

What fantastic choices you made! Going to the theater full of what you wanted to eat in the first place...smart, smart, smart. Bringing a single serving of popcorn...smart, smart, smart! Lettuce tacos...gonna try it this week...smart, smart, smart. I think you're pretty smart Britt!

:Deliciously Healthy said...

Thanks everyone! I heart you guys....

Meg said...

Congrats on the weight loss, girl! It sure is something to celebrate!

And sorry your movie experience wasn't a good one...I can't stand it when people are rude like that. If you want to chat, go somewhere else! :)

Deborah said...

Mmm...looks good!
Glad I found your blog :)

Deborah
http://savannahshapeupsisters.blogspot.com/

Lisa said...

2lbs IS awesome! Way to go!!!

And thanks for the recipe ideas too!

xo

Unknown said...

Congrats on another healthy weekend, and on the loss! It IS great!!!

Tiff said...

Those tacos look delish! I'll have to try that next time!

Keep up the good work and contrats on the loss sister!

Melting Candy said...

I am so happy that I read your blog today. My hubby said he wanted turkey tacos for dinner but I was dreading having the pack of tortillas in the house..... lettuce wrap, that rocks!!!

Congrats on the 2lbs & the great attitude towards the loss!!!