About Moi

About Moi
My Name is Brittany, and I'm 23yrs old. I was diagnosed with Lupus when I was 15, and then diagnosed with RA, when I was 18. I also got married when I was 18, and I'm enjoying my happily ever after with my hubby! When I got married, I was slim and trim...But not for long. After getting married, I started to gain a LOT of weight! In 1yr, I gained 50lbs! Finally, I went to the Doctor, where I discovered I have low thyroid. After being put on medicine, my weight gain slowed down, although over the next 3yrs, I gained an additional 26lbs. When I was 20yrs old, I got yet another diagnoses of Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome. That's 4 diagnoses in a 5yr period, if you lost count. They all effect my weight, in one way or another. Add on top of that, my love affair with food, and every 1 of those 76lbs gained was accounted for. Being 76lbs over weight is unhealthy for anyone, but it was especially unhealthy for me, and my health issues. Since starting this blog, in Jan-2010, I have lost 40lbs! I'm a new, slimmer, and healthier me! Before losing weight, I was told I needed knee replacements. Losing weight was the ONLY tool I had to help me hold off on that life changing surgery. Since losing 40lbs, my knees have never felt better! My husband and I are also trying to start a family, but my PCOS was not going to make it as easy as 1,2,3, as I didn't have periods on my own. My doctor had told me if I wanted a baby, I HAD to lose weight. Since losing 40lbs, I've had regular cycles for the first time in my life! Which is very important when trying to have a baby ;) This journey of mine is more than me simply wanting to wear skinny jeans. It has been a quest to becoming :Deliciously Healthy, so ALL of my dreams can come true! I'm almost half way there! With each new day, I get closer and closer to my goal of 120lbs, and becoming :Deliciously Healthy!

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Weekend Recap, and a Weigh In! Fun! ;)

Hi everyone!

I hope you all had a great weekend!

I meant to do this post yesterday, but my husband had the day off, so it ended up being a long weekend! It was awesome! ;D

Over the weekend, I made 2 new Deliciously Healthy recipes, that I'm so excited to share with you!:

I woke up Saturday morning with the weirdest craving for french toast! So, I went into the kitchen to see if we had everything, without having to make a run to the store (the grocery store should be avoided at all costs on Sat.). Guess what? We did! Shocker! So, I made
Crunchy Cereal French Toast!! :It was crunchy, and yummy, and the perfect weekend breakfast!!
I wanted to use Cinnamon Life cereal, but we didn't have any, so I went with Strawberry Special K cereal. You can use any cereal you like! The strawberries on mine got a little burnt. I thought I would have to pick them off, but they didn't taste burnt at all, so I left them on. They added a sweet tartness to the french toast!

Here's What You Need:
~6 slices of whole wheat bread
~1 egg, and 2 egg whites
~1/2 a cup of low-fat milk
~1 1/2 cups of crushed cereal of your choice
~salt
~cinnamon

This is What You Do:
Crush in a plastic bag, a cereal of your choice. Pour cereal onto a plate. Beat together in a bowl 1 egg, 2 egg whites, milk, salt and cinnamon. Pour mixture into a deep plate. one by one, dip your bread into the egg mixture, coating both sides, then dip into the cereal mixture, coating both sides, and then into a hot pan. Cook on med/high until the egg has cooked. About 3 minutes, depending on how thick your bread is. You could also place the bread slices on a cookie sheet, and cook at 450 for 15 minutes. Add a topping of your choice, and dig in!

Here's What I'm Thinking:

~6 servings
~Serving size: 1 slice of french toast
~About 200 calories per serving (it can range, depending on the kind of bread you use)
**I had 2 slices which put me at about 400 calories. A tiny bit of a splurge for breakfast, but I like to splurge on the weekends! ;D

On Sunday, my Husband and I were excited to watch the new series, LIFE, on the discovery channel! Did anyone else watch? It was so awesome! While we were watching it, my husband and I kept saying things like: "What?!" "Really!" "Dude!" "Cool!" "Whoa!" "Did you see that?" "Gasp!" "WOW!"
It was pretty funny!
It's amazing how beautiful our world is, but it's a shame how much we (I) take it for granted. The sunset is one of the most beautiful things, but do I ever take the time to look at it? Not really. And it's right in my backyard! Watching the show definitely helped me to remember how grateful I am to be living in this beautiful world! It was an 11 part event, so we recorded it, and every Sunday, we're going to watch a couple episodes together! I'm excited to watch the rest of the series!

We wanted something quick and simple for dinner Sunday night, so we could watch the show!

I remember as a kid, I loved making little pizzas out of English muffins! I thought I could easily make a Deliciously Healthy version, and it would be a fun, and simple Sunday dinner! Boy was it ever!! My husband and I both bought things we wanted on our individual pizzas, and it was a fun little activity to do together in the kitchen! This recipe is perfect for a fun, relaxing night at home!
Healthy English Muffin Mini Pizzas:
Here's What You Need:

**You can add any topping you like. Italian seasoned ground turkey, chicken, or any kind of veggie combo, would all be great on these mini pizzas. This is what I put on mine:
~1 package of whole wheat English muffins
~1 Jar of low sodium marinara, or pizza sauce
~1/2 an onion, chopped
~1 bell pepper, chopped
~1 cup chopped mushroom
~1 can of black olives, sliced
~1 cup low-fat mozzarella cheese

This is What You Do:
Preheat oven to 375. For each English muffin half, spread 1 tablespoon of the sauce over the top. Then, evenly spread out 1/4 cup of cheese, over 3 halves. Repeat for each trio. Then add the rest of your toppings. Place pizzas on a cookie sheet, and place in the oven for about 13 minutes, or until the cheese is melted, and the muffins are crispy. Enjoy!

Here's What I'm Thinking:
~Servings: 4
~Serving size: 3 English muffin halves
~Calories: About 355 (If you use the toppings I did;)

****

Now for my weigh in:
My weigh-ins were on Tuesdays, but I thought I'd switch it to Monday. That way I could start out my week knowing where I stand, and so I could blog about it every Monday. I'm trying to have a little bit more a of a schedule on this little blog of mine ;). So, I switched it, and then I didn't blog about it yesterday! ;) Oh, silly me!
Okay, enough of the stalling. My weigh in had me at 181. (My clock is broken!;) Awesome. Again, I'm happy with it. I lost a pound and that's something to be proud of! I also have a few possible explanations rolling around in my head, that make me feel okay with the 1 pound loss:
1. I usually find that I'm down 2 pounds every Tuesday. Maybe I lose that last pound ON Tuesday? If that's the case it will show up in either my sneak peak weigh in, or next Monday's weigh in.
2. I think TOM might be thinking about showing up this month. I've been crossing my fingers all month, that my healthy eating will show, by having 2 periods in a row. Come on ovaries! You can do it! Last month I think I started around the 8th ( I ought to write that down;), so if it does show up, it's obviously late. But the phrase, "Better late then never", has never been so true, in this case! So, if it is going to make an appearance, I don't care if I don't lose weight...heck, I won't even care if I gain weight, if it means that Aunt flow payed me a visit 2 months in a row!

So, that's where I'm at this week. 181, happy, healthy, and anxious! ;D

17 comments:

Bella said...

Yay for another pound lost!

That french toast is such a unique idea - I'm glad you liked it. Weekend indulgences are great!

Julia said...

Congrats on the loss. Also, I think you are the only person who desperately hopes for TOM to come, but I hope it does for you!

BTW, I LOVE the recipes, thank you. I am thinking the french toast one I might try this weekend!

:)

Julia
http://jewliagoulia.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Yummy looking french toast. I just watched a Bobby Flay throwdown show that featured french toast.

Congrats on the loss...

I'm going to have to try those mini pizzas...what a good idea.

divad said...

You've been cooking up a healthy storm and losing weight in the process! I'm praying for some ovary action for you!

Deborah said...

Mmmm...the mini pizzas look good!

Becca said...

Congrats! Also your mini pizzas look tasty (you've reminded me i need to use up some of my kalamata olives!)Sometimes i make mini pizza using arnolds thins if I run out of english muffins :)

Unknown said...

congrats on the weight loss and I will be trying that french toast recipe tomorrow girrrrl!

me: mollymariegetshealhty.com

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com said...

Congratulations on meeting another goal my dear!! You must feel so good about all that you are working towards and all that you have been achieving in living a full, healthy, happy life! I love reading your blog because of your endless positivity. I'm so inspired by you!!
And the recipes are great- cereal crusted french toast looks ammmaaaazing!

bodyhacker said...

Congrats on getting to your next goal and keep up the great work! I love your mini pizza idea with english muffins! My husband and I are on a low calorie diet and have been for about 4 years now so we are always looking for new low cal recipes! Also I love to come up with new ideas on how to change high calorie dishes into delicious low calorie ones - fun challenge! :-)

Not sure if you ever tried La Tortilla Factory Low Carb/High Fiber Tortillas. They are only 80cals per tortilla and taste great!

They are a great size for pizzas too! I have to admit I make them for my husband and I at least 3 times a week (quick, easy to prepare and low calorie)!

We also use the wraps for all of my meals too – breakfast (egg burritos), lunch (all types of wraps such as turkey, veggie..etc) and dinner although they can be also used for snacks (you just have to get creative).

If you are interested, we list one of my favorite recipes (Italian Veggie Pizza) on our site.

Hope you like the recipe! Thanks for great post and forward to reading more!

Tiff said...

You are so creative with your cooking and the pics always look great! Congrats on the WI- a pound is a pound, right?

Keep it up pretty girl!

Meg said...

I love french toast! Great idea to mix in cereal -- I never thought of that.

Congrats on the weight loss!! :)

Unknown said...

Both those recipes look delish! Congrats on the pound loss - slow is steady wins the race!

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog today, and I'm so glad that I did. My story sounds so much like yours that it amazes me, and I've just started trying to lose some of the pounds. You are such a motivation to me! I can't wait to hit that 20 pound mark.

:Deliciously Healthy said...

Thank you Anonymous! :D

Jessica - cbgblog said...

oh I know. It is HORRIBLE. Italian is one of my favorites. I had to do everything in me to not order yummy but unhealthy stuff!

Anonymous said...

Dude that french toast looks AWESOME!

Unknown said...

Hay guys I let my self go din't care. I was close to 500 LB. In the pass 6 years I starting helpping other people that need help, makeing me feel good about my self. Now I drop to about 320 LB and took of 14 inch off my waiste. Any body can do it, get in the right state of mine. Sory about the speeling not good at time.
High Joseph/Brinty
LOVE DAD