About Moi

About Moi
My Name is Brittany, and I'm 23yrs old. I was diagnosed with Lupus when I was 15, and then diagnosed with RA, when I was 18. I also got married when I was 18, and I'm enjoying my happily ever after with my hubby! When I got married, I was slim and trim...But not for long. After getting married, I started to gain a LOT of weight! In 1yr, I gained 50lbs! Finally, I went to the Doctor, where I discovered I have low thyroid. After being put on medicine, my weight gain slowed down, although over the next 3yrs, I gained an additional 26lbs. When I was 20yrs old, I got yet another diagnoses of Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome. That's 4 diagnoses in a 5yr period, if you lost count. They all effect my weight, in one way or another. Add on top of that, my love affair with food, and every 1 of those 76lbs gained was accounted for. Being 76lbs over weight is unhealthy for anyone, but it was especially unhealthy for me, and my health issues. Since starting this blog, in Jan-2010, I have lost 40lbs! I'm a new, slimmer, and healthier me! Before losing weight, I was told I needed knee replacements. Losing weight was the ONLY tool I had to help me hold off on that life changing surgery. Since losing 40lbs, my knees have never felt better! My husband and I are also trying to start a family, but my PCOS was not going to make it as easy as 1,2,3, as I didn't have periods on my own. My doctor had told me if I wanted a baby, I HAD to lose weight. Since losing 40lbs, I've had regular cycles for the first time in my life! Which is very important when trying to have a baby ;) This journey of mine is more than me simply wanting to wear skinny jeans. It has been a quest to becoming :Deliciously Healthy, so ALL of my dreams can come true! I'm almost half way there! With each new day, I get closer and closer to my goal of 120lbs, and becoming :Deliciously Healthy!

Monday, April 19, 2010

Tis The Season For Strawberries!

This past week, our local grocery store, had Strawberries on sale, for 10 for 10!

It was such a beautiful sign, that Winter is finally over!

I headed over to the strawberry stand, and picked out 10 beautiful cartons of strawberries!

Hmmm. What to do with 10 cartons of strawberries?

First, my husband and I and ate almost an entire carton of strawberries, all by themselves! Gosh, they are so good!
After our little strawberry feast, I froze 3 of them, to make yummy strawberry smoothies later! Can't wait for that goodness!

The next day, I met up with two of my friends, Betsy and Jill, so Jill could teach us how to make strawberry freezer jam! I was blown away at how easy it was!To make one batch, you need 45 strawberries, which for me, was 3 cartons.

First, you put about 15 strawberries at a time into a blender, and pulse until it's a chunky/smooth consistency. Then you pour all your blended strawberries into a bowl. In another bowl, mix sugar, and fruit pectin together. Then just add that to your strawberries, mix for 3 minutes (stirring constantly), pour into 4 containers, and then put them into the freezer! You can keep them in the freezer for up to a year, and it lasts in the fridge for up to 3 weeks!(When you buy the pectin, it has the directions on the back. I bought Ball no cook freezer jam fruit pectin, and these were the instructions they had on the back (in a little more detail of course;) If you buy another kind of pectin, the instructions may be different)

It's easier then it sounds...and it sounds pretty easy!
It's so easy, a cave man can do it! ;)

And seriously, it's the BEST strawberry jam, I've ever had! It tastes so....fresh! Having an english muffin with jam on it, has become a must every morning with my breakfast!It's also very economical!
I used 3 strawberry cartons, which were $1 each, and then I just had to buy the fruit pectin which was $1.50. So for 4 jars of strawberry jam, I spent $4.50!! Dude!

So, if strawberries go on sale where you live, you simply have to make some strawberry freezer jam! K?

The next thing I made with my strawberries, was a strawberry and spinach salad! :I got 1 bag of spinach, about 1/2 a cup of cubed mozzarella, a handful of sliced almonds, and 1 carton of sliced strawberries.

I got the idea to make strawberry dressing from another blog I read.
In a blender, I put in 5 large strawberries cut in half, fresh lemon juice from 1/2 a lemon,
drizzled agave nectar, added a dash of salt, and blended it all together, until it was nice and smooth!

I poured it over my salad, mixed everything together, and dug in! It was so light and fresh, and absolutely yummy!

Strawberries + mozzarella= HEAVEN!!
I had 2 cartons left.
So what did I do?
I dipped em in chocolate of course!I chopped up some semi-sweet chocolate, put it in a bowl, and put it in the microwave for 10 seconds at a time, until it was melted.

I was a little worried about using semi-sweet, since dark chocolate is the only kind of chocolate I don't like. I discovered that dark chocolate with strawberries is the exception! I also only dipped half the strawberry in chocolate to save on calories, but it also made it so the dark chocolate didn't overpower the strawberry.

I put them in the fridge, so I could have a perfect chocolaty, and deliciously healthy, quick snack, whenever I wanted!!

If you have some strawberries and chocolate left over, you should make Ellie Krieger's strawberry and chocolate stuffed french toast! Can you say, yum?!

I heart strawberries...

***

Today was weigh in day!

Today, I'm at 178!!

I already knew I had hit the 178 mark on Friday, when I weighed in for Tammy's weight loss challenge, so I wasn't that surprised this morning. BUT, I'm very excited to be 178!! I made it past my 180 mark (woo hoo), and I lost 2 pounds this week! Yay me!

19 comments:

Jessica - cbgblog said...

WAY TO GO!!!!! You made it into the 170s!!!!! I'm so happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh...that is a lot of strawberries. I've never heard of making homemade jam, I bet it's delicious!!

I love the spinach salad with the strawberries. That is one of my favorites.

Congrats on getting below 180!!!

Melissa said...

Oh my goodness. Those strawberries look AMAZING!

divad said...

Yay you is right!!! Those berries look delicious! Our local berries will be ready for picking in June...I can't wait. Last year, a student gave me a hanging strawberry plant, so I get to enjoy them all summer, although they are not as sweet as in the in ground variety.

Anonymous Fat Girl said...

I love, love, love strawberries! But I just don't know about the strawberries on spinach leaves... That would be tough for me! :)

The Chubby Girl Diaries said...

I just typed out an awesome response and now I can't remember if I sent it or not... LOL

Anyway, I LOVE! Strawberries. I plan to make mountains of freezer jam this year too!

All of the dishes you made look especially yummy Brit! :)

Yay you for your weight loss success this week! You are awesome girl!

~Kellie

PS Feel free to erase this one if you did in fact receive the other comment. I'm getting forgetful in my old age... LOL!

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com said...

Holy yum!!! I'm so in love with all the berries!! I can't believe all the ways you've used them to make such delicious eats- the jam really got me. I just love a good strawberry spread. I eat it everyday and would love nothing more than to make my own fresh version!!

Congrats on another successful weight loss week, my dear!! You're doing great!! Way to go!

:Deliciously Healthy said...

AFG, You could use romain lettuce, and I bet if you put some basil leaves in there it would be really good! ...Oh darn, now I'm going to have to try that! ;)

Sean, Jen, Carson and Addie said...

Oh freezer jam, how we love you! We can't even buy jam in the store anymore because it just can't compare! One of our neighbors made a ton of it in spring last year and then gave a jar with some homemade rolls as a neighbor gift for Christmas this last year. Smart (and inexpensive), huh?

:Deliciously Healthy said...

Jen, I was thinking they would make a great gift! Hmmm the sale ends today, maybe I should get some more?

Jenn@slim-shoppin said...

Congrats on being in the 170's!! That's aweseome!

AND, I bought a ton of strawberries over the weekend too that were on sale, I LOVE them, thanks for the freezer jam recipe!

Unknown said...

Yay, you kicked 180 to the curb!!!! Congrats!
Look at all that strawberry goodness - you're so industrious. I would have let 8 cartons rot in my fridge, lol!

Corletta said...

I love that we have both made it into a different weight range! Girly...I am impressed by you and your booking skills! Thanks for all of the YUMMY looking recipes!

Tammy said...

The strawberries look delicious!!! I got some last week or the week before, and although they were pretty, they weren't very sweet...total bummer, lol. I bet the jam is fantastic...my mom makes freezer jam.

Congrats on that loss girl!!! You are almost to my goal weight, lol. I'm getting down to 170 and I'm calling it kaput. :)

Tricia said...

congrats on the loss!

I wrote a post today about fruit, thanks for sharing great ideas for the strawberries!

Meg said...

I wrote a comment yesterday, but it doesn't look like it posted?

Congrats on the weight loss...you are doing so amazing!

Bella said...

I love the idea of making freezer jam. How cool. I've never heard of that before. It looks yummy!

I have all the ingredients to make that strawberry, spinach, and mozzarella salad. I've made it many times, and it is DELISH!

Congrats on your 2 lb loss. Another great week.

Tiff said...

You are so stinkin creative! That strawberry salad looks delish!

Tammy said...

Hey girl!! Don't forget to weigh-in tmrw!! Only one week left in the challenge! :)