About Moi

About Moi
My Name is Brittany, and I'm 23yrs old. I was diagnosed with Lupus when I was 15, and then diagnosed with RA, when I was 18. I also got married when I was 18, and I'm enjoying my happily ever after with my hubby! When I got married, I was slim and trim...But not for long. After getting married, I started to gain a LOT of weight! In 1yr, I gained 50lbs! Finally, I went to the Doctor, where I discovered I have low thyroid. After being put on medicine, my weight gain slowed down, although over the next 3yrs, I gained an additional 26lbs. When I was 20yrs old, I got yet another diagnoses of Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome. That's 4 diagnoses in a 5yr period, if you lost count. They all effect my weight, in one way or another. Add on top of that, my love affair with food, and every 1 of those 76lbs gained was accounted for. Being 76lbs over weight is unhealthy for anyone, but it was especially unhealthy for me, and my health issues. Since starting this blog, in Jan-2010, I have lost 40lbs! I'm a new, slimmer, and healthier me! Before losing weight, I was told I needed knee replacements. Losing weight was the ONLY tool I had to help me hold off on that life changing surgery. Since losing 40lbs, my knees have never felt better! My husband and I are also trying to start a family, but my PCOS was not going to make it as easy as 1,2,3, as I didn't have periods on my own. My doctor had told me if I wanted a baby, I HAD to lose weight. Since losing 40lbs, I've had regular cycles for the first time in my life! Which is very important when trying to have a baby ;) This journey of mine is more than me simply wanting to wear skinny jeans. It has been a quest to becoming :Deliciously Healthy, so ALL of my dreams can come true! I'm almost half way there! With each new day, I get closer and closer to my goal of 120lbs, and becoming :Deliciously Healthy!

Monday, November 29, 2010

Brittany's Kitchen Adventures- Turkey Chili

Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving!

Welcome to Brittany's Kitchen Adventures!
Before going on a "diet", I had practically never stepped foot inside the kitchen. I've had to teach myself how to cook/bake, but there's still a lot of things I've never tried, because they intimidate me. I'm a Deliciously Healthy cook/baker in training. Come on a journey with me as I conquer the kitchen! Every Monday, I pick something new and challenging to try in the kitchen! I blog about each kitchen adventure, whether it was a success or not. There's bound to be some disasters, but hopefully a lot of Deliciously Healthy successes!

I have a confession to make.
I. Brittany@Deliciously Healthy. Am afraid of crockpots.

Yup. It's true.
I finally bought one about 6 months ago, but I've used one excuse after another to not use it. Crockpots intimidate me. Why? I'm not sure. I guess it's because I went my whole childhood without even seeing one with my own eyes. From what I remember, the first time I saw a crockpot was when I was 14, at my aunts house. "You leave it on all day? Huh?"
And I've been intimidated ever since.

Another little fact about me: I LOVE chili. Mmmm. So good. But, I've always been too intimidated to make it. It's so good, it has to be out of my cooking league.

So for this weeks kitchen adventure, I'm tackling 2, yes TWO things that scare the chubbiness right out of me.

I used this recipe, because it had the word "quick" in it. And that made me feel better.

First up, I cooked the ground turkey in a skillet. I thought I was going to cook the turkey IN the crockpot. Apparently slow cooking meat was one of the things that intimidated me, because I was relieved when I saw that I just had to cook the turkey the way I've done a thousand times before. That, I can do.On a side note- You want a cheap Christmas decorating tip? Slap present bows on everything!

Next I chopped up some onion, and bell pepper.

Then I just threw the tomato soup, canned beans, veggies and seasonings in the crockpot.
And started to stir everything together. At this point I started talking out loud to myself. I was telling myself how easy this was. That it was absolutely silly of me to be afraid of the crockpot, and of making chili, and I should believe in myself more. And just then, I realized I forgot a step. I forgot to spray the inside of the crockpot with cooking spray. Whoops.

I finished up stirring, put on the lid, turned it on high, and walked away, giving myself a pat on the back. 30 minutes later I came back to check on it. "Hmm. I thought it would be doing something by now?" Then I realized I forgot to plug it in. Silly me.

4 hours later, we dug in!Mmm. The fact that I made it, makes it the best chili I've ever had. Seriously delish.

It's the perfect dish to eat while sitting in front of the Christmas tree, and listening to Christmas music.
I feel myself getting more and more courageous in the kitchen. I'm realizing how silly it is of me to be intimidated by things like this. It's actually pretty empowering. Before you know it, I'm going to be making things I can't even pronounce! Like in french and stuff. I can't wait!

Is there a kitchen appliance that intimidates you?
Have you put up your Christmas tree yet?

17 comments:

NAN said...

Good for you! I use my crock pot a lot in the winter especially- I like to cook a whole chicken in it and then debone, defat and make soup with lots of veggies. you don't even need noodles or rice. There are lots of slow cooker recipes too.

Chad and Caroline said...

I LOVE using my crockpot!! The best thing is already having dinner ready and not to be constantly thinking about it all day. I will definitely be trying this recipe. Thanks:)

Jessica said...

I use my crock pot several times a month. If you buy that Crock pot liners, there is virtually no cleanup which is always a plus for me. One of my favorite things to make is dried beans. Just soak them overnight, and then throw them in the crockpot with some water or a can or low sodium chicken broth...so good and very economical :) A huge bag of beans is on a dollar or so and it makes tons of beans :)

Becca said...

love the crockpot - i've gotten some really great (and easy) slow cooker recipes from tastykitchen.com!

Anonymous said...

I think my crockpot is the most used and loved appliance in my home!!!

Ak said...

You made me laugh with this one! You will LOVE your crock pot- it's so simple and easy. I had never thought about spraying the crock pot w/ cooking spray- that's a great tip!

Former Fat Bride said...

Good job!! I'm still too scared to do much in the kitchen especially since my husband is the cook of our family. Did the ground turkey taste too terribly different in the chili?? I've only tried it once with spaghetti and wasn't too impressed.

:Deliciously Healthy said...

I'm probably the wrong person to ask, because I love ground turkey, but my husband and I couldn't taste a difference.

divad said...

YUM!!!!!!! I love chili, especially made with turkey. My son hates chili, made with anything though. I like lasange with turkey too.

The Chubby Girl Diaries said...

The chili looks delish!! It is a perfect crockpot dish!

I love your tree! Very pretty!

~Kellie

Hannah said...

My crockpot = my lifeline. I work a lot of 12-13 hour shifts so i can still have homemade dinners despite spending the whole day at work.

We put up our tree and lights on Monday. I love it!

Bring Pretty Back said...

I am jusat wild about my crock pot! Once you start using it you will be hooked!
Your tree is beautiful!
Have a pretty day!
Kristin

135by2012 said...

I don't think I am intimidated by any appliances, but I am intimidated by cooking. My husband is the culinary genius in our family. Any meal I prepare is nerveracking, but I make it through as long as I follow the receipe. I am super scared and have failed many times when not following a recipe.

Jamie Danielle said...

I loooove my crock pot! Like the longest I went without one was almost a month & I realized I needed another one (mine got broke on accident) QUICK! So my granny bought one as an early Christmas gift =]

Your tree is so dang cute, good job! =P

kristi said...

I want a bowl! Yummy!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

I am a little intimidated by my slow-cooker because I haven't had much success with it.

Stephen said...

You have written well on above topic and also thanks for sharing with us. Golden greek yogurt