About Moi

About Moi
My Name is Brittany, and I'm 23yrs old. I was diagnosed with Lupus when I was 15, and then diagnosed with RA, when I was 18. I also got married when I was 18, and I'm enjoying my happily ever after with my hubby! When I got married, I was slim and trim...But not for long. After getting married, I started to gain a LOT of weight! In 1yr, I gained 50lbs! Finally, I went to the Doctor, where I discovered I have low thyroid. After being put on medicine, my weight gain slowed down, although over the next 3yrs, I gained an additional 26lbs. When I was 20yrs old, I got yet another diagnoses of Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome. That's 4 diagnoses in a 5yr period, if you lost count. They all effect my weight, in one way or another. Add on top of that, my love affair with food, and every 1 of those 76lbs gained was accounted for. Being 76lbs over weight is unhealthy for anyone, but it was especially unhealthy for me, and my health issues. Since starting this blog, in Jan-2010, I have lost 40lbs! I'm a new, slimmer, and healthier me! Before losing weight, I was told I needed knee replacements. Losing weight was the ONLY tool I had to help me hold off on that life changing surgery. Since losing 40lbs, my knees have never felt better! My husband and I are also trying to start a family, but my PCOS was not going to make it as easy as 1,2,3, as I didn't have periods on my own. My doctor had told me if I wanted a baby, I HAD to lose weight. Since losing 40lbs, I've had regular cycles for the first time in my life! Which is very important when trying to have a baby ;) This journey of mine is more than me simply wanting to wear skinny jeans. It has been a quest to becoming :Deliciously Healthy, so ALL of my dreams can come true! I'm almost half way there! With each new day, I get closer and closer to my goal of 120lbs, and becoming :Deliciously Healthy!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Stupid pharmacy...

The month of March was supposed to be my
first month on Clomid, a fertility drug that will stimulate my ovaries to ovulate. 3 days into my "cycle", I was to start taking the medicine, and continue taking it for 5 days. Remember this photo? Well, there were supposed to be two of these little packets.

Since you take the medicine for 5 days, and there were only 5 pills, I assumed that meant that I was supposed to take one pill a day, which I did. A few weeks later, I was "late". My period was MIA, and I started picking out baby names. After a few days of waiting to make sure it wasn't coming, I took a pregnancy test. I thought for sure I was finally going to see a positive... instead I saw what I always see: A negative pregnancy test. I called my fertility doctor upset, and explained that my period was late, and the pregnancy test came back negative. I told her it must mean that I didn't ovulate this month, which meant the clomid didn't work. She started telling me what our next plan of action was, which is when she asked me what my dosage was. I told her I took one pill a day, for 5 days... and that's when she told me I was supposed to be taking 2 pills a day, for 5 days. She looked up the prescription, and confirmed that I had taken the wrong dosage. She then explained that the pharmacy must have gotten it messed up.

I am now reverting back to my 5 year old ways, and calling the pharmacy a butthead. While I stick my tongue out at it.

Right now I'm taking Provera, a drug that will make me have a period, so that I can start taking the clomid 3 days into the cycle. For real this time.

Normally I would have drowned my sorrows into some kind of unhealthy goodness. Instead, I ate 2 of these deliciously healthy chocolate chip cookies, with a small glass of low-fat milk.
(I can't for the life of me upload pics from my camera, so I had to use my phone)It did just the trick. These cookies are free of white flour, and oh so yummy.

Trials will come. That is life. But I will NOT drown my sorrows in food, and let it get the best of me.
I deserve to be healthy
, and it's up to me to make that happen.

I know that I will be a Mommy someday. It just wasn't this month.

Stupid pharmacy.
It's going to take me a couple days to stop saying that ;)

13 comments:

Ak said...

How upsetting! :( But good job on not turning to food for comfort- I know that can be hard sometimes.

Becky Jones said...

Usually you start out with one pill and then up your dosage each month till you ovulate. My doctor was quite liberal with the clomid, he gave me way higher doses than is recommended but it worked. With my children I did the provera in between doses and my first child required 2 months 50mg, 2 months 2 pills, 1 month 3 pills (150mg) my second I did 100mg for 3 months and 150mg for 3 months then went off it and got pregnant months 7. Clomid has a half-life of 6 weeks so I had a tonne of it still in my system. With my 3rd it took 4monts of 150mg, my 5th I took 150 for 1 month and 200mg one month and then 2 month of 250mg. My miracle baby (#5) came 2 years later on her own. The reason I tell you this is to not give up. I pray that it will work for you. My sister nothing has worked for but she has adopted 4 children. Good luck, I'll be thinking of you.

135by2012 said...

Stupid pharmacy indeed! Stupid Cacapoddie heads! Pbbbbbttttt!!

SociallyGreen said...

Oh no. That's so annoying! I'm horrible when it comes to prescriptions. I always make my doctors put instructions on the back of the pill case or something so that I remember the drill! Annoying!

I've recently started dedicating my diet to gluten-free foods. I have been looking for sweets though. Next time I go to Whole Foods I'll look for these bad boys! I bought Udi's bread yesterday and it's pretty darn good! We had 'opening day' here at work and I had a hot dog on a toasted slice of Udi's. So crunchy and good :)

Kat said...

Lady, I just got outright frustrated for you when I read this post! I am REALLY proud you for the way that you handled this - and if you have to curse the pharmacy for a few more days, by all means, do.

Keep your head up.

Melissa said...

You have SUCH a GREAT attitude! Yes, you WILL be a mommy someday. :) I'm so sorry the pharmacy messed up! UGH!

Are those cookies really good?! That might be soooo helpful for me!! :) I LOVE cookies, but am trying to watch it w/ the flour & sugar.

Jess said...

stupid pharmacy...

Josie @Skinny Way Of Life said...

Brittany that sucks!! Good for you for being strong and not running to food. Hang in there and think positive!!

(JIN) Love, Loss & Lacquer said...

You will overcome this! I'm sending some prayers and positive energy your way.

Sean, Jen, Carson and Addie said...

Brit Brat, that sucks! But I have to say, I laughed out loud when you said you reverted to 5 year old behavior! How cute! (as I recall, when you were 5, you used other terms too!)

Love ya Sis!

erica said...

Oh my word are you serious! I would be so upset too, but in time it will come for you. You completely deserve it so it will definitely come just try to stay positive, and the next prescription you get call the doctor and make sure that it is right.

xo

erica said...

Oh my word are you serious! I would be so upset too, but in time it will come for you. You completely deserve it so it will definitely come just try to stay positive, and the next prescription you get call the doctor and make sure that it is right.

xo

Katherine at ayearinfireandice.com said...

I just found your blog. I'm obsessed! Thank you for being who you are and sharing your journey. It's wonderful to find people who also share your spiritual beliefs along with your weight (and even PCOS!) problems. You're beautiful and inspiring! Thank you!

- The Girl
http://thelastcheeseburger.blogspot.com/