About Moi

About Moi
My Name is Brittany, and I'm 23yrs old. I was diagnosed with Lupus when I was 15, and then diagnosed with RA, when I was 18. I also got married when I was 18, and I'm enjoying my happily ever after with my hubby! When I got married, I was slim and trim...But not for long. After getting married, I started to gain a LOT of weight! In 1yr, I gained 50lbs! Finally, I went to the Doctor, where I discovered I have low thyroid. After being put on medicine, my weight gain slowed down, although over the next 3yrs, I gained an additional 26lbs. When I was 20yrs old, I got yet another diagnoses of Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome. That's 4 diagnoses in a 5yr period, if you lost count. They all effect my weight, in one way or another. Add on top of that, my love affair with food, and every 1 of those 76lbs gained was accounted for. Being 76lbs over weight is unhealthy for anyone, but it was especially unhealthy for me, and my health issues. Since starting this blog, in Jan-2010, I have lost 40lbs! I'm a new, slimmer, and healthier me! Before losing weight, I was told I needed knee replacements. Losing weight was the ONLY tool I had to help me hold off on that life changing surgery. Since losing 40lbs, my knees have never felt better! My husband and I are also trying to start a family, but my PCOS was not going to make it as easy as 1,2,3, as I didn't have periods on my own. My doctor had told me if I wanted a baby, I HAD to lose weight. Since losing 40lbs, I've had regular cycles for the first time in my life! Which is very important when trying to have a baby ;) This journey of mine is more than me simply wanting to wear skinny jeans. It has been a quest to becoming :Deliciously Healthy, so ALL of my dreams can come true! I'm almost half way there! With each new day, I get closer and closer to my goal of 120lbs, and becoming :Deliciously Healthy!

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Hello From D.C.!

I'm spending a couple days in D.C. this week, since my hubby had to travel here for work. Tomorrow we head off to our real vacation destination... I'm so excited!

I'm a firm believer that you shouldn't diet when your on vaca. The diet will be there when you get back, and the fun times and memories are worth the 2 pounds you gained. It's time to just enjoy yourself, relax, and be happy. Counting calories doesn't make me happy ;)

By that I don't mean drinking 64oz of soda a day, and chowing down on cookies and fried food. There's a way to treat yourself on vacation, while still being mindful and having a balance.
taking off from the airport heading to D.C.
  For instance, I knew that there were a couple restaurants the hubs wanted to take me to, and I knew I wasn't going to order a salad. So I wanted to make my breakfasts and lunches a little healthier. It was a little challenging, since I'm in a hotel, without a car during the day, and there's nothing in walking distance. To my surprise the hotel had breakfast bars, and lean cuisines! I've also been drinking a ton of water, and have stayed away from soda completely.
When Joe got off work, we headed into D.C. the first night we were here.
We walked at least a mile, going from the White House, to the Washington Monument, and trying to figure out where the heck we parked. It was definitely a good exercise. Most vacations I've been on always include a ton of walking. I remember I lost 3 pounds the last time I went to Disneyland (even though I ate like a pig), because we were of course walking all day, everyday.
 Tonight we drove up to Baltimore. I love that place. We went to Phillips for dinner. I ordered a stake, drank 3 glasses of water, stopped eating when I was full, and didn't order dessert. We had a dessert sampler platter the night before, and I plan on getting dessert tomorrow night, so I thought I'd skip a night in between ;)
Baltimore
These are all ways I keep a little bit of a balance, while still enjoying myself on vacation. It's about being :Deliciously Healthy. Not perfect.

Tomorrow we head off to the next location!

How do you maintain a balance while on vacation?

5 comments:

Renee Paj said...

enjoy your vacation! I try to eat mindfully while on vacation, but I do enjoy myself and don't really restrict anything, except for fried foods...almost never, under any circumstances, enjoy many of those.

Ak said...

Enjoy D.C. I definitely want to visit there again someday! I try to enjoy myself...which means eating the foods I want but in the right quantities...I don't feel good when I gorge myself either!

Unknown said...

Aw I love your vacay tips!! I need theese since me and the hubs are supposed to go next month! my MIL just moved to DC area so we might go there soon too! Love your blog!!

Unknown said...

I mean I just read through the entire post and it has been really great but since I'm more of a visual learner, some more vids and charts would help a lot. Nevertheless, the topic here is really worth pondering about.
Green coffee 800

Unknown said...

Really your post is really very good and I appreciate it. It’s hard to sort the good from the bad sometimes, but I think you’ve nailed it. You write very well which is amazing. I really impressed by your post.
Raspberry ketone