About Moi

About Moi
My Name is Brittany, and I'm 23yrs old. I was diagnosed with Lupus when I was 15, and then diagnosed with RA, when I was 18. I also got married when I was 18, and I'm enjoying my happily ever after with my hubby! When I got married, I was slim and trim...But not for long. After getting married, I started to gain a LOT of weight! In 1yr, I gained 50lbs! Finally, I went to the Doctor, where I discovered I have low thyroid. After being put on medicine, my weight gain slowed down, although over the next 3yrs, I gained an additional 26lbs. When I was 20yrs old, I got yet another diagnoses of Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome. That's 4 diagnoses in a 5yr period, if you lost count. They all effect my weight, in one way or another. Add on top of that, my love affair with food, and every 1 of those 76lbs gained was accounted for. Being 76lbs over weight is unhealthy for anyone, but it was especially unhealthy for me, and my health issues. Since starting this blog, in Jan-2010, I have lost 40lbs! I'm a new, slimmer, and healthier me! Before losing weight, I was told I needed knee replacements. Losing weight was the ONLY tool I had to help me hold off on that life changing surgery. Since losing 40lbs, my knees have never felt better! My husband and I are also trying to start a family, but my PCOS was not going to make it as easy as 1,2,3, as I didn't have periods on my own. My doctor had told me if I wanted a baby, I HAD to lose weight. Since losing 40lbs, I've had regular cycles for the first time in my life! Which is very important when trying to have a baby ;) This journey of mine is more than me simply wanting to wear skinny jeans. It has been a quest to becoming :Deliciously Healthy, so ALL of my dreams can come true! I'm almost half way there! With each new day, I get closer and closer to my goal of 120lbs, and becoming :Deliciously Healthy!

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

My Christmas Gift

Every year, on Christmas morning, my husband and I take pictures of each other tearing open our gifts. He insists on taking a picture of each and every Christmas present. When the presents have been opened, and all the "Oohs" and "Ahhs" have been said, I sit on the couch, and review all the pictures. And that is when I ruin my Christmas. One picture after another, I see a fat roll I didn't know I had, or a double chin I didn't realize was so big.
(Here I am on Christmas morning in 2008, trying on a jacket my husband got for me that didn't fit. Even though it was an extra large.)The rest of Christmas day would be spent with tears in my eyes. I'd be filled with regret, disgust, and hopelessness. Every year I would make a promise to myself, that next years Christmas morning photos would be double chin and fat roll free. And with that, I would never look at that years Christmas pictures again. I would pretend they never existed. I would pretend that the whole Christmas morning, at 200+ pounds never existed. I would simply look forward to next year. But guess what? Next year would be exactly the same.

Except for this year....

I spent most of my Christmas Eve this year, worrying about the Christmas morning pictures that would be taken. I had absolutely convinced myself that I was 206 pounds again. I had convinced myself that each and every picture would be included with fat rolls and double chins. On Christmas Eve, I tried bracing myself for the pain that I would feel, when I sat down in the morning to review the pictures. Christmas morning came, we went down stairs, tore into our gifts...and out comes the camera. And of course, my husband insisted on taking a picture of each and every present like he does every year. Afterwords, I sat on the couch as usual, to review the pictures. I braced myself to see something horrible. Instead, I saw something absolutely wonderful. I might even say, Beautiful.No double chins.

This was the first Christmas in 5 years, that I didn't cry when I saw our pictures. This is the fist year that I didn't spend the rest of the day in a depressed funk because of my weight. Instead, I spent the day feeling blessed and grateful for all the blessing I have in my life. I spent the day thinking about how far I've come, and how proud I was of myself. This year I didn't erase a single picture of myself. I didn't try and erase the entire Christmas morning from my mind. Instead, I played it over and over again.

I have lost 45 pounds this year.
That is one totally awesome gift!

21 comments:

x said...

LOVELY GIFT!!!!! great thought process :) you rock

Ak said...

You are absolutely GORGEOUS! I can totally relate with this post. I did the same thing, looking back on pictures taken on a holiday and then I would get so depressed. I'm so glad that this year went better!

Josie @Skinny Way Of Life said...

you are so pretty!! good for you, hold your head high you've accomplished a lot! 2011 is going to be a great beginning of a new chapter in life for you. Sorry to sound like a fortune cookie but this post me really proud and I know how good of a feeling it can be : )

Corletta said...

You know what? Let's not call that a gift; let's call that a reward!! You have worked really hard this year!! This is well earned!!! Great job! By the way...your comment on my blog rings SOOO true for me too. That's okay...it's a new day and a new year :)

135by2012 said...

Brittany, How did you wake up on Christmas morning looking like a supermodel?

You are beautiful inside and out, and now have more pictures to prove that. :)

Hannah Houshangi said...

That is so so so so so awesome! You look Ahhhh maazzze ZING! Ah-maz-ing AMAZING :D

erica said...

Isn't it such a good feeling when you see pictures of yourself and actually realize how gorgeous you are. I love your Christmas pictures and it looks like you made out awesome with gifts. You should be so proud of yourself on your achievement 45 pounds is a lot of weight to lose so congratulations.

Random question would you say that working out or eating healthier helped you achieve your goals?

xo

SociallyGreen said...

Look slike you had a fabulous Christmas. Your blog is great and I loved seeing your progress. I added you to my blogroll!

Tammy said...

What a fabulous post!! So proud of how far you've come this year....and you look absolutely gorgeous! :)

Meg said...

I wish I looked that good on Christmas morning! :) You've done an amazing job on your weight loss. I hope to be as happy with my pictures next year as you are. I still have many pregnancy pounds to lose! :)

Sean, Jen, Carson and Addie said...

Yes, very beautiful!

Jin @SOUL + FOOD said...

Good for you Brittany! What an accomplishment! You are so inspirational and you look gorgeous in your Christmas photos!

Molly Marie Keyser said...

I LOVEEEEED this post! Ok seriously you look so so good! Also, no double chins IS the best christmas present ever!

Paul and Whitney Rohrbaugh said...

You're so beautiful! So glad you had a wonderful Christmas! :-)

ladyofthehouse said...

Woo hoo - you can't beat that Christmas gift! And you can't buy it or wrap it up in a box - but you can feel amazing because you earned it yourself!!
So happy for you!!!

diane :)

divad said...

That is simply gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kelsey Ann said...

every day you wake up know you are a gift. you are amazing! inspiring! gorgeous! each and everytime im reminded of it when i come here! xoxo

Jessica said...

That is awesome!

Amanda said...

I found your blog just a few days ago and have read the entire thing. You are such an inspiration and you look fabulous! Such an encouragement!

Jess said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!
Bravo, bravo, bravo!!!!!

:) Yay!!!!!
J

Former Fat Bride said...

Yes I would definetly say BEAUTIFUL!! Congrats girly :o)